On Thursday, 14 April 2022, the Syriac Union Party, Assyrian Democratic Party, and Assyrian Democratic Organization held a meeting in Tel Tamr, the largest city in the Khabur River Valley in North and East Syria.
The three parties signed a document that included forming a joint Coordination and Consultation Committee and outlined the Committee’s tasks.
This step was taken after a series of meetings held between the national political parties of the Syriac–Assyrian people in Syria.
The document reads as follows:
Coordination and Consultation Committee between Syriac-Assyrian National Parties in Syria
After a series of meetings and consultations, the Syriac–Assyrian national political parties in Syria, including the Assyrian Democratic Party, Syriac Union Party in Syria and Assyrian Democratic Organization, agreed to form a joint Coordination and Consultation Committee to work on specific agreed upon tasks and to affirm the parties commitment to achieving them in partnership and joint responsibility with the aim of forming a national political umbrella for the Syriac–Assyrian people.
This joint committee is considered a political framework that aims to unify the efforts of the parties to achieve the national and patriotic aspirations of the Syriac–Assyrian people in the future Syria by enhancing confidence in joint work.
Until full rights for the Syriac–Assyrian people are ensured, the Committee remains committed to achieving the following tasks:
- Developing partisan relations between the Syriac–Assyrian national political parties in Syria by building relations based on national and patriotic interest, in addition to bringing the visions and stances of the parties closer on the basis of mutual openness and trust.
- Unifying the national demands of the Syriac–Assyrian people in the future Syria.
- Supporting and enhancing the Syriac–Assyrian national presence in the homeland and preserving it from threats, in addition to limiting migration and securing appropriate conditions for the return of displaced people and refugees.
- Cooperation and coordination with all political and social powers in order to maintain civil peace and consolidate coexistence.
- Protecting the property of the Syriac–Assyrian people and preventing demographic change in their areas.
- Organizing and coordinating relief and charitable work and ensuring that aid reaches those who need it.
- The affairs of the Coordination and Consultation Committee will be managed by a leadership body that includes an equal number of the three parties’ leaders. The leadership body will take its decisions by consensus and will supervise the work of the joint specialized committees, including the real estate committee, legal committee, relief committee, and others.
The formation of the Coordination and Consultation Committee between the Syriac–Assyrian national parties in Syria is an important step for the parties and embodies their will to develop their joint work with the aim of reaching a comprehensive political understanding and a political umbrella for the Syriac–Assyrian national movement in Syria that includes all parties and institutions.
We look forward to the support of all the Syriac–Assyrian parties and institutions in the homeland and abroad for this joint step, in addition to pushing for its development and accomplishing its agreed tasks.
The Syriac Union Party in Syria
The Assyrian Democratic Party
The Assyrian Democratic Organization